(I’m on this really great committee! We’re doing something awesome! Please share widely! Note the deadline: May 15, 2016)
The Society for American Music’s Education Committee solicits proposals for a new series of online video lectures on American music topics. Designed for general audiences (including, but not limited to, high school and university students, concertgoers, and/or historical societies), these lectures may address any topic or theme in American music studies but should approach the material with the layperson in mind. Each “Digital Lecture in American Music” should be between 10 and 15 minutes in length. Please note that the Society employs an expansive definition of “American music” that encompasses all musics of the Americas.
Interested parties should submit a complete curriculum vitae and a proposal of no more than 500 words to Travis Stimeling, chair, Society for American Music Education Committee and should include the following:
· The topic or theme to be addressed in the lecture.
· A rationale explaining the relevance of the topic or theme to a lay audience.
· The intended audience(s) for the lecture.
· A discussion of the ways that the presenter will capitalize on the video medium.
· A statement describing the presenter’s access to and experience with video production equipment and software.
Successful proposals will:
· Explore a compelling topic of broad interest.
· Rely on contemporary scholarship in American music studies.
· Demonstrate sensitivity to the needs of a lay audience.
· Make strong use of the video medium.
The Society for American Music’s Education Committee will select three proposals for the initial round of “Digital Lectures in American Music” and will award an honorarium of US$500 upon completion of the project. The lectures will be hosted on the Society’s webpage and its YouTube channel.
Inquiries and applications should be addressed to Travis Stimeling, chair, Society for American Music Education Committee at email@example.com. Applications must be submitted by 15 May 2016.